Award-winning physician, considered one of the best in his field in Seattle, WA and in America, professor, poet, photographer, and humanitarian — Dr. Wayne Larrabee is founder of the Larrabee Center.
Wayne F. Larrabee, Jr., M.D. graduated from Tulane Medical School with an M.D. and a Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology). He subsequently completed an internship at Letterman General Hospital in San Francisco. He spent three years as a major in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, directing Public Health and Disaster Relief Programs for the Southern Command in Latin America.
Seattle Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
Dr. Larrabee received the Army Commendation Medal for Disaster Relief after the Nicaraguran earthquake and other public health efforts. Dr. Larrabee subsequently completed a residency in the Department of Otolaryngology and Maxillofacial Surgery at Tulane Medical School. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology and American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Larrabee has been the past President of the International Federation of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies, the American Board of Otolaryngology, and the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Larrabee is a Clinical Professor in Facial Plastic Surgery at the University of Washington in Seattle, and a Fellowship Director of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Larrabee practiced Facial Plastic Surgery at the Virginia Mason Clinic for ten years, where he was Head of the Section of Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery, Head of the Section of Otolaryngology, and President of the Board of the Virginia Mason Research Center.
Dr. Larrabee is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, the Triological Society, the American Society of Head and Neck Surgeons, the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and the International Federation of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies.
If you are looking for, or considering, facial plastic surgery in Seattle area, contact Dr. Larrabee for a consultation today. With his expertise and experience, he will be able to evaluate and recommend the best treatment to achieve your desired looks.
His Honors and Awards include:
- The Best Doctors in America, 1994 to Present (selected for the cover of Seattle Magazine Best Doctors 2002)
- Schoenrock Award for outstanding lifetime contributions to the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Mark Rafferty Award for Outstanding Contributions to Facial Plastic Surgery
- Award from Croatia for Pro Bono Surgery on War Victims
- Award from the Governor of Michocan, Mexico for work with cleft lip-palate children
- Teacher of the Year, University of Washington, Department of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
- The Honor Award of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for national contributions in facial plastic surgery
- The Honor Award of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery for excellence in teaching
- The Ira Tresley Award of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for excellence in research
- Award for Excellence Triological Society Thesis: “A Finite Element Model of Skin Deformation” received honorable mention for its excellence
- Investigator Development Award of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- The Benjamin Schuster Award of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for the paper, “Skin Flap Tension as a Function of Undermining”
- Shirley Baron Memorial Award of the Triological Association for the paper, “The Biomechanics of Advancement and Rotation Flaps”
- Joseph Award for outstanding contributions to Facial Plastic Surgery awarded by the European Society of Facial Plastic Surgery, 2006
- Community Service Award for Domestic Violence and Global Cleft Programs by Seattle Magazine, July 2014
Dr. Larrabee’s research and clinical writings have resulted in over 150 publications. He has had three medical books published – Surgical Anatomy of the Face, Principles of Facial Reconstruction, and The Art and Craft of Facial Rejuvenation Surgery. He is a founding editor for the Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America and is the editor of the AMA Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. He is a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of the American Medical Association (or JAMA) – the medical journal with the world’s largest circulation.
He is one of the founding members of the Face to Face program, which provides pro bono surgery and education throughout the world. Medical leaders in Croatia and Mexico have recognized his work in their countries.
The Face to Face program of the AAFPRS also has a project to assist the victims of domestic violence in this country, for which Dr. Larrabee received the AMA’s Major Public Service Award in 1996 on behalf of the AAFPRS. He most recently founded Global Surgical Outreach, a non-profit organization to provide reconstructive surgery for children in China and elsewhere with cleft lip and palate deformities.
Dr. Larrabee also has a consultant practice at 107 Harley Street in London, England. He operates from the London Clinic and Weymouth Hospital.
Dr. Larrabee’s non-medical interests include photography and poetry. He has published both in numerous literary journals. A book of poems, Racing the Train, was published in 1994 and a photobook, Roslyn – A Town’s Portrait, in 1996. He has published many poems in the Lancet and a poem “Charity Hospital, New Orleans,” in The Journal of the American Medical Association, March, 2006.
Learn more about the Best Plastic Surgeon in Seattle and Bellevue, Washington. S